Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Puerto Rico

After a looooong day,we arrived safely in Puerto Rico.We got up at 2:15am to leave by 3.When we picked up dad,he was still in bed!So we got going later than expected,but we were OK.We had to drive to Pittsburgh,PA and the plane left at 7.We had a layover in Charlotte,NC.We arrived in PR at about 1:30 and got to the motel by 3:00pm.I did my treatments,then we explored.We ate at the motel and the food was great.The rooms are typical Embassy Suites,but with a Spanish flair.Outside,there are 3 pools that run together and you can walk out to a small beach.It's gorgeous...
We slept quite well that evening.

The others laid out and relaxed all day while dad and I drove to Aibonito,where we had lived.On the way,there were places along the road called lachonera,where you could buy lachon,which is roast pig.So we got that,served with spanish rice and beans.SOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!It took awhile to get to Aibonito,but we finally found it.The only problem was it is up in the mountains...we were up 3,000 ft.and I had trouble getting enough oxygen.I started yawning and yawning!!And I got a really bad headache and knew we couldn't stay long.We saw the hospital,church and the general area where our house had been,but there are other buildings there now. We stopped by the plaza that has been beautifully redone. Flowering trees and scenery are very tropical and so pretty and green.Dad was impressed with his recall of his skill in communicating so well in spanish.We were NOT impressed with the Puerto Rican drivers!!They just cut in front of you all over the place,cars and motorcycles.Crazy!But we're still alive...My headache didn't go away until we were back down the mountain.But I'm glad I got a chance to go back.

Last evening we just sat outside by the pool and talked and enjoyed the warm weather.It is so weird...we left with snowy 16 degree weather and in a few hours were at 80 degrees.It was sunny and beautiful all day yesterday,not too hot,just right.This morning we have had a couple of quick showers,where it rains for maybe a minute,then the sun is right back out.I sat on my little deck this morning while doing my treatments.We are on the 7th floor of the motel and it's a beautiful view!I can see the ocean.Everything is decorated for Christmas here too,which seems very strange.It's hard to feel like Christmas here!!

We spent a lot of the day lounging by the pool and relaxing until we left for the girl's game around 3:30.It took quite a while to get to the game,mostly because there was so much traffic...and like I said before...crazy driving down here!The girls played against a very good Puerto Rican team.AND,we won by 5
points in a very fun game.It was also fun watching the Puerto Rican cheerleaders cheering in spanish,using bongo drums and getting their crowd excited...it was a fun atmosphere!We stopped to eat after the game,it was kind of a late night.So far,lots of fun,good food and lots of laughing!!More soon,and pictures.


Trent said...

It snowed in Cincy - supposed to sleet/freeze rain tonight... enjoy your warm weather... By the time you get back I think it will be warmer - supposed to be in the 50s by Friday or Saturday.


65 Roses for Marcia said...

Hi Trent,
We heard school was on a 2 hr.delay at home this morning.We are glad we're here!Your mom is in her glory.I think I heard her mention something about checking out a condo....:)

Aspiemom said...

It sounds very exciting over there! Except for going up the elevation, with lack of oxygen & headaches!

What a great get-away for you. Be safe and can't wait to see your pictures.

Trent said...

Oooohhhh REEAAALLLLLY? Condo eh?
Tell mom the twins would LOVE a condo in Peurto Rico....