Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!


I was going through some pictures the other day at dad's and I found a bunch of pictures of me as a little girl that I had never seen before. This one is from the time we were living in Puerto Rico. Here is a picture of me with my dad and mom. Isn't she beautiful?? She was beautiful inside and out. She got cancer when I was 6 years old. They treated it with cobalt radiation (no chemo then) and it went into remission until the summer of 1990. She and dad were on a trip to Alaska when she started having pain in her left shoulder and arm. They came home early and it was discovered that the lymphoma was back with a vengeance. She died 5 months later on January 23. She was such a brave, strong person throughout that 5 months.Here's what my mom was like...she had a positive, outgoing personality with a dose of feistiness and loved to cook and entertain. She was well known for her awesome tea rings. She was happy and laughed a lot, sometimes getting the giggles. She had a beautiful voice and enjoyed singing. She loved the Lord, her family and she dearly loved her seven grandchildren! Her eighth one Katelyn, was born 5 months after she died. Our lives have never been the same since she has been gone. We often think of how she would have enjoyed watching her grandkids playing baseball and basketball and going to the musicals. She would love her three great grandchildren. Even though we know we will see her again someday, we miss her! Today on Mother's Day I feel blessed to have had her for my mom!

7 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Well, that made me cry. But such good memories we have. I miss her a lot too.

Katey said...

Sounds like you had an awesome mom! I know it's hard especially on days like today. Praying God continues to comfort you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Tears of joy for having known her. A vivid memory of being treated to a Sunday dinner at the house where Kevin is now - delicious pork roast and all the trimmings. And also of her and that ladies quartet singing some song with "Glory or glorious" in it. Wish I could remember more of it, would love to know the song. Thanks for sharing!
B-

Judy said...

Nice tribute to your mama. Wish I could have known her. I'm sure she was a wonderful mom.

Anonymous said...

Well, it sounds like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. There's just something about the relationship between a mother and daughter.
Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

oops! That "anonymous" comment was me!
Laura

Hummel Family said...

Thanks for sharing your mom with us who did not get the chance to meet her. She sounds like she was an awesome MOM and a fun person to be around. Sounds a lot like you!! My heart aches that you had to lose her so early in life. May you ALWAYS be reminded of all the good times and memories!!!