Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Hot chocolate to the rescue

I went to Akron to get my picc line pulled out today. My friend Audrey went along, nice to have the company, and we were going to lunch afterwards. My pft's were still the same as last week and the appointment was going fine, until time to remove the picc. The last two times, it just slid right out like a piece of long spaghetti. This time it was stubborn! It hadn't co-operated going in and now it wasn't coming out! About 4 inches came out, then it stopped. I guess the vein was in a spasm and they can't yank it out, or it could break off and then there would be emergency surgery. So they put a heat pack on my arm...waited...didn't help. Next, tried squirting saline at the entrance site...didn't budge. Kept waiting, then trying. Still stuck. Chris, the nurse practitioner said maybe I should go drink hot chocolate to warm my body up. She was sort of joking, but when they called the picc team, they said I should take a break and go get some hot tea or hot chocolate. So Chris told me to go get Audrey and she'd make us some hot chocolate...and she did! So I sat there with hot packs wrapped around my arm and I sipped my hot chocolate and chatted with Audrey...and about 20 minutes later, they were finally able to remove the picc!! So now we know that hot chocolate has scientifically been proven to help remove picc lines...

4 comments:

Laura said...

Too funny! I'll have to remember this - great excuse to have chocolate :-D Glad you were finally able to get rid of it - enjoy your freedom.

Laura (California)

Aspiemom said...

Marcia, that experience sounds horrible! I would have been a nervous wreck. I'm glad the hot chocolate helped. Chocolate is good for EVERYTHING, doncha know? :-) I wonder if my hot flashes would have helped?

Judy said...

I'm glad the hot chocolate was able to rescue you!! It really does not sound like a very fun ordeal to go through! (It seems you were very brave, however!!) I'm glad it's out and I hope you enjoy your freedom.

Somer Love said...

Wow I would of been freaking out!!! I am glad they were able to get it out with the help of the tasty beverage!