Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Starting my day

There is nothing like starting off a summer day, sitting on my patio drinking a smoothie!! I'm not really a coffee drinker in the morning like my hubby is. I'm a smoothie girl!! My freezer has a ton of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. I still have to pick more raspberries to freeze yet. I have a vitamix, which blends all this frozen stuff really quickly and smoothly. I usually make enough for two and then freeze one for the next day in my insulated Tervis tumblers, that I also dearly love. When I was teaching, I'd take a frozen one to school in the fall or spring and in a couple of hours it would be ready to drink. Here's how I make it. I don't measure though...I throw in all of these frozen fruits... strawberries, raspberries and then I go heavy on the blueberries (antioxidants!), plus 1/2 to one banana. I add some yogurt (whatever flavor I have) and just a little sugar, honey or splenda. Lately, I've been adding 1/2 can of Slimfast low carb drink just for the protein. Then I add milk to the top of the fruit and then blend. I don't use ice cubes, since the fruit is frozen and that makes it thick. I might have to add more milk to get the consistency I want. If I HAD to write down a recipe, it might be this:

1 C frozen blueberries
1/2 C frozen raspberries
1/2 C frozen strawberries
1/2 banana
1 T honey or sugar
1/2 of a 6 oz. container of yogurt
milk to cover the fruit (or more)

Blend and enjoy!!
Refreshing!!

3 comments:

Aspiemom said...

Looks wonderful! Sometimes I add just a little orange juice concentrate, too, if I have it on hand.

Dawn said...

Mmmmm..Krista and I love smoothies. We'll have to try this.

Lil' Chris' Mom said...

Thanks for the great recipe! I'll have to try it;-)