Monday, December 21, 2009

Marcia makes marshmallows!

I saw some homemade marshmallows on foodgawker the other day and I thought to myself, this is my next project! But I looked through the recipe and it looked rather difficult, or so I thought. So I googled good old Martha Stewart and watched a tutorial of how to make them and it looked easy...but then, I'm a visual learner. So I tried them. I decided to add crunched up candy canes to the fluff stuff in the last minute of whipping the fluff. See how you can see the little bits of red in the marshmallows? I loved how they turned out. Warren came home and I informed him that I had made marshmallows. He said, "why would you do that when you can just go buy them?" Well, I said, "just because I can." Actually, I like a challenge, I like to try new things and there's a nice little feeling of accomplishment I feel when I can do it! I've had my share of flops, but it's still fun to try (cake pops for instance). And when I make something from "scratch" at least I know what's in it. Granted, these are not the top of the line nutritionally, but they are very good. Now I tend to think "rubbery" when I think of the store bought jet puffed ones...what does that mean anyways???


So here is my marshmallow with a hint of peppermint in my fair trade dark hot chocolate that I dearly love. It was oh, so good!

Here's the recipe if you're interested.
You need 3 pkg. unflavored gelatin (not to be confused with jello gelatin)
(If you buy it in bulk, each pkg. = 3/4 T)
Pour 1/2 C cold water in your mixing bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over it, let set 10 min.
In a saucepan, mix 2 C sugar
2/3 C light Karo
1/4 C water
Slowly bring to a boil, stirring, let it boil rapidly for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and carefully pour over the gelatin mixture in bowl. Add 1/4 t. kosher salt. Immediately start beating it with the whisk attachment on high speed for 12 minutes. If you have a Kitchen Aid, you can just walk away for 11 minutes. If you want to add finely chopped candy canes, add them in the last minute, along with a bit of vanilla. You could probably use strawberry flavoring or whatever, I guess.

By the time the 12 min. is up, you have a big fluffy mass of white stuff. You then pour it into a 9x9 pan that has had saran wrap lined both ways in the pan, with a 2 in. overhang on each side. And it needs to be sprayed with Pam. (Get this pan thing done ahead of time!) So then you pour the fluff stuff on the saran in the pan. Spread as good as you can, then take another piece of saran, spray with Pam again and lay it on top of the marshmallows, Pam side touching the marshmallows. You can kind of smooth them this way. Let them cool 2-3 hours or overnight. To cut, lift them out of the pan onto a cutting board by lifting the saran wrap. Get a large knife, spray with Pam. Cut down the middle first, you should end up with 36 squares. The last step is to roll them in some sifted powder sugar and they're ready to eat. I went right for the hot chocolate myself...I also dipped a couple in melted chocolate for fun. Oh, and you can put them in a freezer bag and freeze them.

If you try these, I would be curious to know if you did and if you like them!

7 comments:

Laura said...

You are the only person I know who would attempt a recipe for homemade marshmallows - more power to you! They do look yummy, particularly with the peppermint bits in the hot chocolate.

Laura (California)

65 Roses for Marcia said...

Come on Laura, you know you want to try making them :)

Written Permission said...

I am so intrigued by this -- and so impressed that you actually made them! And I LOVE that you added peppermint and dipped some in chocolate.

I'm hardly the culinary whiz, but these are going on my list of things to make during the holidays next year. Or possibly I'll try to make some next week. :)

Kate Starr said...

Oh Yum-O Marcia!!! I am so excited to try these.. we've purchased the ones from Williams-Sonoma before, but I think making them would be more satisfying!!

Thanks!

Mary Beth said...

Just make me a batch.....

65 Roses for Marcia said...

We can have a cooking class...

sanjeet said...

They do look yummy, particularly with the peppermint bits in the hot chocolate.

Work from home India