Saturday, January 30, 2010

Clinic

Yesterday I headed to Akron for clinic in the lovely 9 degree OH weather. It was a long afternoon, they were busy and I had to wait in my room a long time! The pulmonary function test (pft's) showed that my lung function was down from last time...from 52% to 41%. I don't really understand why, because I don't feel bad. I will have to say tho, that my sinuses have been worse and I've been having sinus headaches and lots of drainage. So I think we caught it early before I did get sick. I'm back on cipro for a few weeks... 500 mg. 3 times a day. Dr. S did say that it's kind of my pattern, needing antibiotics about every 2-2 and 1/2 months. I also have to go back on Tobi. Yuck. I just finished 28 days of that not long ago, but he says using Tobi along with the antibiotic helps more. I don't enjoy doing Tobi (mostly because it extends treatment time), but oh well, if it helps. Here's an interesting tidbit...when the Dr. came in my room, he said I am the third patient in a row that is in their 50's! How awesome is that?? Since the average age for a CF person is 37. So they were jokingly calling it geriatric day! I think there are only about 500 people in the US with cystic fibrosis over the age of 50. I have connected with a lot of older CF patients via internet. Hopefully they'll keep coming up with new meds that work, so there will be MORE geriatric CFers! And the ultimate thing would of course, be a cure!!

1 comment:

Hummel Family said...

I still think its amazing that you are here with us! I was surprised when you said there were around 500 people over the age of 50 who have CF. I thought the number would be smaller than that. I pray they can find a cure soon. It has taken so many young lives. Lots of children! Are there any good fundraisers around? I'd love to help with one or give to one.

HUGS to you!