Sunday, February 28, 2010

Arizona trip

From here...

Yes, this is how it looked as K and I left from home to go to Columbus airport to leave for Arizona.

...to here...

We were waiting in line to check luggage and then were told our flight was cancelled, due to stormy weather in Dallas, our layover...We couldn't get a flight out anymore that day, so we drug all our luggage back out to the car and drove to a motel closeby. We relaxed a bit and then went to a mall, to a movie (When in Rome). I was tired I guess and pretty much slept through it :( And then to the Cheesecake Factory. We left our car parked at the motel, which was cheaper than the airport and were shuttled back to the airport at 5:40 the next morning. This was a nonstop flight to Phoenix, leaving at 7:30am.

...to here...

It's quite amazing how the view can change in a few short hours!!

This is the view from our small patio at the motel. We had a little path to the pool and were close to the breakfast area.

One of the evenings, eating in a little Italian restaurant in Old Town Scottsdale. The way some of these tables were set up, you were halfway inside and halfway outside...pretty cool!

Chicken piccata and homemade ravioli. My hubby thinks I'm nuts posting about food...he's not a foodie like me!

One day a friend Linda from my church met us for lunch. Her parents winter in Phoenix and she was visiting them. We went to AZ 88 in Old Town. We sat outside on the patio. Across from the patio was a park and performing arts center. Some native Indians were performing outside. They had a time to take pictures after their performance, so we acted like typical tourists, I guess.



It was a nice change to see some flowers blooming again!! They were along a walking path close to the hotel.

We went on part of the Apache Trail, which was very pretty, especially Canyon Lake!! It was beautiful!!!





We stopped at a small town on the trail and these were the bathroom stalls!! So that provided some entertainment for us!!


This was the restaurant and ice cream shop there. It was papered in dollar bills. I guess you can sign one and they put it up...quite interesting...although we didn't contribute...

And this was a little mining town we stopped at for a bit. We didn't do the whole trail, because it gets gravelly and there are a ton of hairpin turns, but it was interesting and pretty. We had a lot of curves with the blacktop road...and there are no guardrails...

This was a road trip day to Sedona. We took a drive to Sedona the last time we were here. The red mountains are just beautiful, my pictures don't do them justice.






A Mexican place we really enjoyed that had homemade chips...SOOOO good!!! I was a pig!

This is on the way to the airport...our girl week was about to come to an end! We stopped for our last gelato treat on the way and sat out on the patio. The weather was great all week...always in the mid to high 70's. It did rain the day before we left, so that was a mall day and another movie. Such a fun relaxing week! We each had read through three books, soaked up vitamin D by the pool, watched three movies (we recommend Dear John), walked, slept in, ate a lot, enjoyed gelato almost every day, and watched the Olympics, talked and laughed (a lot)!! We tried to get bumped at the airport, so we could get free tickets like last year, (which we used for this trip) but it didn't happen...

and now I'm back to here...!!

But it's always good to get home...

7 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh, but didn't you MISS all that gorgeous snow while you were down there in the hot sunshine???

;-)

Judy said...

Oh! The mountains, trees, flowers and all look so beautiful and inviting. I am ready to get beyond this white stuff we have. I'm so glad you gals had a great, warm, fun time. Sounds awesome!

The Starr Family said...

Oh my Marcia... flowers blooming!! And I LOVE those bathroom stalls, what a hoot! I do believe I can see your dad's sisters having a good time with those :)

Brenda said...

Many familiar pictures after having lived in Flagstaff 15 years. Glad you had a wonderful time in the warm weather!

Mary / Mariah said...

Looks like you had a fun time . That place with the dollars on the ceiling looks like the place My cousin took me when I went to Az . It was an old broken down ranch . They served hamburgers , chips and drinks . They called your name when it was ready . The parking lot had every thing from stretch limo's to junkers . We ate out side and there was music and lots of fun . We had a great time . My cousin and I went to a lot of the places you went . My trip was about 10 years ago . Just wanted to stop in and see your Blog . I haven't been doing much on mine lately but you can check it out if you want , mostly on Face Book .
Mary

Mary / Mariah said...

Oh the snow , we got more snow here in Ohio them I can remember . They said 39" so far . I'm ready for spring .My friend Tootsie has a great gardening blog . She does the Fertilizer Friday . You can find hers on the right side of mine with other blogger's I like .
Mary

Melissa said...

Wow, the pics were beautiful, Marcia. We took the kids on a west trip ten years ago now -- it's so wonderful out there. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your trip.

I loved "Dear John" too -- sigh.