Saturday, June 12, 2010

Graduation, tornado and vacation

My niece Katelyn graduated from high school two weeks ago.

Katelyn and my dad after graduation.

Her grad party was last Saturday. They had a small tent set up at their house, but wouldn't you know it...it was a rainy, stormy day! They couldn't set up and put table cloths on or balloons until right before it started. Actually, it cleared up enough and was OK during the party, from 4-7. However, a tornado went through here a little before 3. I had been doing my nebs and vest and therefore was oblivious to what was happening with the weather. Hubby was taking a nap and we hadn't been watching TV. The siren went off in town but I never heard it because of the treatment noise. As I was finishing up, I realized that I had to pick up 2 prescriptions before they closed at 3:00. So I hurried to the car and as I was driving out, I thought it looked really dark and thought I'd better hurry, it's going to REALLY storm...poor Mary Beth and her party! Just as I was turning onto the road where my brother lives, the siren went again and there was the loudest noise and wind and a large tree snapped and fell RIGHT BESIDE ME!! It fell the opposite way or it would've fallen on my car! I quickly drove to my brother's house, dodging branches which were flying all over the place. Then the rain started. I didn't know if I should run in the house or stay in the car. But suddenly the wind quieted. I have never experienced anything like this...I went right back home, forget the prescriptions! Hubby had woke up from the loud wind. There was no damage at our house except some shingles were blown off and part of our potting shed porch roof taken off. We had some very hard rain, which washed out a lot of topsoil and mulch in our back retaining wall. We couldn't do anything about it though, as we were leaving the next day for Pennsylvania, as Warren had a weeks vacation.
Here are some pictures of the tree that I saw go down. It doesn't look that big, but it was pretty good sized.



The next morning we left for PA. We were meeting some friends from VA and we had reservations to see the musical "Joseph" at Sight and Sound theater in Lancaster on Tuesday. We also met three other college friends that we hadn't seen in years. It was so good to see them! We had dessert and fellowship and took lots of pictures!

Me, Diane, Carol, Janie and Marilyn.

Ready to see the show.

The show was incredible, I highly recommend it! It portrayed the story in a very emotional way, focusing on forgiveness. I think we all had tears in our eyes at the end!
We left late Wed. morning, stopping at Hershey to tour Chocolate World. It smelled so good!! Of course we bought some chocolate! We got home at about 7:30 that evening.

Kayden went to Bible school this week. I picked him up Thurs. and Fri. and brought him here. He just learned how to pedal and was so proud! We have spent the last couple of days just cleaning up the dirt and mulch that washed onto the patio.


The end of a very eventful week!

2 comments:

The Starr Family said...

How frightening Marcia... what do you mean that tree doesn't look big???

Thankfully we were perfectly in the clear here!

Hummel Family said...

Too bad I didn't text you on that Saturday of the tornado! I think I texted you on the Friday before, but you were in Akron. All I gotta say is, GOD WAS WITH YOU!!!!!!!