Friday, October 15, 2010

Apple Dumplings





One of my favorite desserts in the fall is apple dumplings. They are filling, fattening, yummy but you know, at least some fruit is involved! I love them fresh and hot, either plain, or with ice cream. Some people like it with milk. My friend Marcia over here has asked for this recipe, so here it is.

Apple Dumplings:

I used Gala apples this time, but won't again, because they took for.ev.er for the apples inside to get soft. I'm going to stick to golden delicious from now on. I do not enjoy biting into an apple that is not cooked when it's supposed to be soft, just sayin. Golden delicious are bigger than Gala, so you can use just half an apple per dumpling.

For the dough:
2 C all purpose flour

2 and 1/2 t. baking powder

1/2 t. salt

2/3 C Crisco butter shortening

1/2 C milk

Sift the dry ingredients together. Add the shortening like you would pie crust and mix until crumbly. Stir in the milk with a fork until moistened. Press into a ball. Roll out dough on floured surface into approx. a 12x18 rectangle. Cut into 6 squares.

Pare and core the apples. Lay one apple, cored side up on a square. Fill center with cinnamon sugar. Top with a small pat of butter. If the apple is small, put the other half on top. Dampen the edges of the dough with water and fold around the appple until it's all covered. Pinch edges all together. Put the pinched edges down in the pan. Repeat and put apples in square baking pan. Sprinkle small amount of cinnamon sugar over top and bake at 375 for 35-40 min.

Sauce:
2 C brown sugar

3 C water

1 t. cinnamon

1/4 C clear jel

4T. butter

Whisk the clear jel and cinnamon into the brown sugar until mixed, then add the water and butter. Cook on stove until slightly thickened. Remove from heat while apples are baking. I like my apple dumpling dough to be a little crispy, so I pour the sauce over the apples right AFTER the come out of the oven. It does take a little time to make these, but it's fun and they are so good and just taste like FALL to me! OK, now I'm hungry...

4 comments:

Hummel Family said...

oh yum! oh yum! ohhhhhh yummm!!!!!

The Starr Family said...

Today is the perfect weather for apple dumplings... they look delish Marcia! And I was just down your way yesterday, should havve stopped for some :)

Keetha Denise Broyles said...

Those look delicious!

When did you say you were coming to Indiana to make me some?????

Remember - - - I'm moving away at the end of this month, so your time is limited!

;-)

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

Oh I'm so glad you posted it. I'm sorry I didn't get over sooner to see it. My son had surgery on Friday, and I've been a little busy since :-) They sound delicious!
Blessings,
Marcia