Saturday, October 2, 2010

It's getting a bit complicated...

First of all, we've been in Florida on vacation for a couple of weeks. Nothing like sleeping in, reading books, watching movies, napping, swimming, sitting by the pool, eating seafood and Sweet Berries ice cream, walking on the beach and watching the sunset. It soothes the soul!! Pictures may follow. It was hot, 85-90 degrees, nice. When we got home, it was quite a change...50 degrees. So we are still trying to adjust to instant Fall!! I do love Fall time, it was just such a sudden change.

Now on to the it's getting complicated part. I had a couple of calls on our message machine when we got back that were from the CF center. It was about a blood test that I'd had done about a month ago. I called back and they said my IgG levels were low, but since I had an appointment coming up on Friday (yesterday) they'd discuss it then. So yesterday Dr. M explained that a low IgG level can also cause lung, ear and sinus infections and that usually CF people have higher than normal IgG levels to fight off their CF infections, not lower. I immediately thought she was going to say I DON'T have CF, because it sounded like it wasn't a CF thing. (But then there are those 2 CF genes I have). But she said she thinks I might be fighting TWO diseases, CF and an immune deficiency. So she wants me to see someone who works with immunology. Now I'm not completely clueless about IgG levels, since one of my other doctors discovered this low level years ago and I got monthly IV gammaglobulin treatments for several years. But I have very small veins and finally they were kinda shot and I didn't feel like it was helping enough to keep doing it and I just plain needed a break. So I stopped. I did have the treatments again for about 6 months a few years ago. Dr. M also said that for a "normal" person my levels wouldn't be terribly low, but for a CF person, it would be considered very low. She talked to the Dr. she wants me to see and that Dr. is also working with a couple of other CF patients who have do have low IgG. So I'm being referred to her and will probably have to have a whole new thorough work up. Do any of you readers with CF have low IgG levels??? Just wondering. And so goes my exciting life!!! So we'll see what happens next...

5 comments:

Keetha Denise Broyles said...

So glad you had a restful and refreshing vacation!

I have been a little behind in my blog reading so missed a couple of your posts until now - - -

Aspiemom said...

First, I wanted to mention that there is a Photobucket box from a deleted photo or video that shows up on your blog and makes it hard to read because this thing is right over the words as I scroll down. Can you remove it?

I checked out my lab results at Vanderbilt and don't even see IGG listed. Could it be labeled another way?


I used to get IGG treatments every 4 weeks, also, only because I kept getting sick and they couldn't figure out the cause. That was before the CF dx.

I certainly hope you aren't dealing with something else!

65 Roses for Marcia said...

I have tried and don't know how to remove the stupid photobucket box!!I'll keep working on it...

The Starr Family said...

Marcia... too bad there isn't a SweetBerries up north!!

We will lift you up and say some prayers this week. He has plans for you to prosper... despite all the challenge!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I'm glad you got away to Florida and a nice vacation. I don't know anything about lg levels, but I'll be praying for you.
Keep us posted with whatever you find out.
Blessings,
Marcia