Monday, December 20, 2010

Easy Caramels

Don't you just want to take a bite? I've made two, yes two batches of these...they are so good! As well as very easy. It does take awhile to wrap them, or I guess you could just let them in the pan and keep cutting out bites. Which I did for awhile, then sat down and cut and wrapped. With my first batch, I did dip a few squares in dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt. Here's the recipe, in case you need to whip up one last goodie these last few days before Christmas. I'm sure Paula Deen and Pioneer Woman would approve of this recipe's rich ingredients!

Caramels

1 C light Karo
2 and 1/4 C packed brown sugar
1-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 C butter
dash salt
1 t. vanilla
buttered 9x9 pan

Melt the butter over med/low heat in a medium size saucepan. Add brown sugar, salt and Karo and mix well. Add the sweetened condensed milk and stir again until it's mixed in. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil. Keeping it at a fairly rolling boil, set your timer for 12 minutes, and keep stirring...don't let up the whole time. Talk to someone on the phone to pass the time or listen to Christmas music. No need for a candy thermometer. When the timer goes off, hang up the phone, add the vanilla and pour the delicious golden goodness into the buttered pan. Lick out the pan and spoon. Then let it cool for several hours. Cut in small squares or rectanges. Dip in melted chocolate or wrap in wax paper squares. I hadn't made caramels in several years, and these came out pretty much the perfect consistency both times.

6 comments:

BeKay said...

They look delicious! I've never made candies before, but I just might start a batch after seeing your candies. Thanks for posting!

Aspiemom said...

Okay, I'm sold! I'm going to have to try these! They look delicious. I don't have any more dark chocolate coating chocolate on hand because I used it coating Craisins for my SIL. Can you use semi-sweet choc. chips? I think I'd prefer them plain, tho, myself.

65 Roses for Marcia said...

Have fun you guys, they are seriously so good! Just remember to stir and don't leave your post, they can burn easily on the bottom. You could try the choc chips, but I've not had good luck dipping with that, it's too thick. They are wonderful just plain. Oh I have to go eat one...or two.

Written Permission said...

O.M.G. I think I just decided what I'm doing on Christmas Day! These look AMAZING (especially the ones with the sea salt -- um, YUM). Thank you for sharing!

Karlene said...

They really look amazing, but I think I would have no self control and eat them all!

The Starr Family said...

Oh Marcia!!! These look divine... perhaps just the recipe I needed for the neighbors treats! I always remember Nonnie making these for Christmas.

And bless Aunt Mary... its hard to lose her, but what a joyful place she is now! Thinking of all of you this Christmas season!