Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Home for Christmas!

My Aunt Mary Hummel, who was 92, died peacefully yesterday afternoon...shortly after helping to sing an old hymn and hearing her granddaughter read the Christmas story to her. My dad's oldest sister was a very special person. She was a pastor's wife for 26 years and together, they also started an insurance business. Her life was about love and humility, always thinking of others. She sent a birthday card to everyone, yes, everyone in our church for years and years...until just this last year as her health declined. She was well known for her pie baking and homemade noodles. She taught me how to make the noodles, as well as homemade angelfood cakes. The top of her Christmas letter to all of her family and friends this year had this quote "In God's dear hands we are sure so safe, no suffering tears or pain, but in His time we'll surely find him waiting over there!" She told her children this would be her last Christmas letter and she closed with one of her favorite verses from Psalm 121:7..."The LORD will keep you from all harm-He will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forever more."


I thought these words from the Steven Curtis Chapman song " Coming Home for Christmas" were fitting for Aunt Mary.

I'm going home for Christmas, and I'm going home to stay
I'm going home for Christmas and nothing's gonna keep me away
I'll be with the ones I love to celebrate the Savior's birth
I'm going home, home for Christmas

As we sing Joy to the World I can't help thinking
Of the joy that's shining in her eyes right now
And though our hearts still acche, we know that as we celebrate
She's singing with the herald angels and heaven's glowing on her face

She's home for Christmas and nothing could've kept her away
She'll be face to face with Jesus, as we celebrate His birth
And this gift will be worth more to her than anything on earth
She's home, she's home for Christmas
She is home
She's home for Christmas

Farewell, Mary...you will be missed! Enjoy your first Christmas with Jesus!

5 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Though you will miss her, it is hard to be sad when a saint such as she goes home!

The Starr Family said...

Isn't it hard to detail what an extraordinary person she was? Ordinary by all accounts, but full of light because of Him. I simply cannot think of her without thinking of Jesus... she brought such glory to the kingdom.

I have her 2008 Christmas letter taped on the inside of my cupboard door. I read it when I think I'm not feeling ambitious... she loved, wrote, baked, and served despite her age.

Beautiful Marcia.

BeKay said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your aunt's passing, but very happy she is in the Lord's loving arms now. It sounds like her last few days have been happy ones. I'll be praying for your family.

65 Roses for Marcia said...

Yes, she was and ordinary, but extraordinary person, a true role model! I forgot to add that she quit driving when she was 85, but that didn't stop her from taking a ride with her son on his Harley on her 90th birthday!

Thank you BeKay!

Aspiemom said...

I like your title here. It sounds so celebratory, which it really is. It sounds like your aunt was a very amazing woman and has left you all with many wonderful memories and an example to live toward.
I'm sorry for your loss.