Monday, January 17, 2011

Some bumps in the road...

I've been doing IV's now for a week and it has NOT gone smoothly! First of all was the bend in the picc line that the picc nurse fixed. Then on Fri. evening, I wasn't able to flush my line to get started and a nurse had to come out armed with Activase (a clot buster) and sure enough, it was a blood clot in the line. Last night, once again, I wasn't able to flush the line. I called the nurse who told me to call my doctor who told me to wait until today and go in to the picc center. So I completely had to skip my meds for the second time in a week. And today was my third trip to Akron in a little over a week. The picc nurse couldn't flush it either and we decided to go ahead and put in another picc. They were able to take it out and put another one in the same place, a little uncomfortable, but not too bad. There was a clot in the line... you could see it in the part she pulled out. I've just never had trouble like this before with IV's. I did my IV's this evening and it went fine...hopefully things will go better now, so I can be consistent with the meds. One bumpy week down...

8 comments:

Aspiemom said...

Oh, I HATE that when you're in the middle of IV's and have to skip treatments. You feel like it's totally negating the whole thing!

You should talk to them about a Port!!

I hope the rest of your treatment goes smoothly with no more problems. I hope you get feeling better soon, too.

Keetha Broyles said...

So sorry about all of this!


Thinking of you - - -e

BeKay said...

I have been reading your blog for a few weeks. My daughter passed away at age 12 from cystic fibrosis..it just amazes me now how far treatment has come these days. On the picc line; my dh had a picc line and I had to give him iv's at home (because of a toe infection), but one thing I wanted to mention is that every single time you start or finish your iv's, the picc line has to be flushed out. We had home care nurses who would draw blood and not flush the line, so when I went to flush the line, it was clogged. To solve that problem you need to 'the flush' the line with a gentle push and pull motion. Just like you would a toilet that was clogged. Use the saline and push into the line, then pull it back again. The line will unclog. I know it's scary at first when you do it, but that's how the picc nurses told me to unclog it. It works. Although you did say you had a kink in yours that once which was a good thing you got it check. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Colleen said...

I hope now that your line is changed, things will be fine. Hang in there, its for the best.

Judy said...

Praying that your bumpy road will soon become smooth!!

Hummel Family said...

Awe, Marcia! Not what I was expecting to read. :( I hope it gets better for you now. Once you are done doing IVs, you need Warren to take you on vacation! :)

Praying for you, friend!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I was sorry to read about the tough week you've had Marcia. You're in my prayers.
Blessings,
Marcia

Stacey said...

Ugh! Sorry about the bumps :( I did IV's for 3 1/2 months in the fall, so I know the frustrations when something goes wrong. I just found your blog. Are you from Akron, OH. I live in Medina! You can check me out at htts://www.confessionscyster.blogspot.com