Wednesday, March 23, 2011

PFTs

What is a pulmonary function test (PFTs)? It's a test that measures your lung function. This is how I do it...you sit in a phone booth type enclosure with the door open and you put a clip on your nose...you put your mouth on this big round tube which is hooked to a spirometry machine. You breathe normally one or two breaths and then take as deep a breath as you can and blow it out as forcefully as possible while the lady yells go go go and you blow until you're thinking you might pass out or die. Seriously...you almost see stars! Then you wait till your heart calms down, drink some water, try to relax because you have to do it two more times...they take the best score out of three. How did it go yesterday? Mine had gotten really low, and I managed to get them up 2 points...I was really hoping for more, but on the other hand, I'll take anything that is UP instead of down!!! I will do it again on Friday...hoping for more improvement then. Baby steps...

6 comments:

Somer Love said...

2 pts up is great. I had clinic Mon and was 2 pts down :( ugh why those tests are so stressful is beyond me.

Here's hoping we both go up next time we blow :)

Glad your kidneys are on the mend

Keetha Broyles said...

Hooray for the ups!!!

Carol Raber said...

That's good to hear Marcia. I have been thinking of you and praying for you. Let me know when you want me to clean again. Hank and I are going to Columbus and staying overnight. I am taking my personal day on Friday. Glad you are feeling a little better.

Aspiemom said...

That's exactly what it's like, too! "Go go go..." You think you'll pass out or die and the last thing you'll hear is "Keep going, keep going..." Sometimes I get coughing in the middle of it and they make me do extra!

Hope you keep showing improvement.

Anonymous said...

Glad you hear you went up! Keep going! Still keeping you in my prayers :)

Jo

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on your post by accident...probably because my 'real' name is Marcia. Your description of a pulmonary function test was so perfect...I laughed out loud. I hope you're doing better. :)