Sunday, July 17, 2011

Blueberries!


Blueberries are one of my favorite summer fruits. This year I am picking a crazy amount of them from two of my bushes that are five years old. I have been getting 1/2 to 1 pound a day. We had to build a fence with netting around it, because otherwise the birds would strip them! (Or the grandkids)! We planted four more bushes last year. We are getting a handful from those, but it takes about five years to really produce. The little boys love them too, I usually save some out each day for them. They are so good fresh, I eat as I pick!

This is what I picked yesterday, probably about a pound...it's a pretty large dish. I decided to try a blueberry crisp...I kind of put a couple of recipes together.

It turned out pretty good, I will be making it again! Here is the recipe if you love blueberries and want to try it...

4 C blueberries
3 T clear jel
3/4 C sugar
1 C water
Cook until thickened.
Add 2 t lemon juice (fresh is best)
Cool.


Topping
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C flour
1/2 C oats
4 T butter, softened
1/4 t. soda
1/4 t. baking powder
Combine dry ingredients, rub in butter to make crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over blueberry filling. Bake at 350 for about 30 min. Serve warm or cooled. Really good with vanilla ice cream!


I am feeling somewhat better, still on IV's...probably for a couple of weeks yet. I have a clinic appointment tomorrow. Clinic in the morning plus an ENT appointment in the afternoon...It will be a long day! And then race back home to get hooked up to my IV in time. But things are going so smoothly this time, no blood clots or bends in the picc line (knock on wood)! I'm just so happy it's been going well. Hoping that in a couple of weeks I'll be all bounced back to my usual self. In the meantime, I'll eating lots of blueberries!

3 comments:

Hummel Family said...

I'm loving the new background on your blog! :)

Caislyn went blueberry picking with Brenda last week and enjoyed it so much (probably more expensive than your blueberry picking...LOL!). So, we've been munching on blueberries all weekend long. I may give your recipe a try and also freeze a couple batches, so we can enjoy this winter.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow! That sounds like a very big day! You will be ready for your pjs when you return home :)

Aspiemom said...

I just asked my husband this last week to plant some blueberry bushes. Haven't convinced him yet, but I think he's thinking about it. I used to buy them by the bulk in PA but can't do that here and we love our bb!

Your recipe looks yummy. I'll have to try that. When my brother is here on furlough I usually make him a bb dessert because they are his favorites and he doesn't get them on the island.

I can't believe how long you are on IV's. Wow! Are you feeling any better, tho? I start on Iv's this week.

Somer Love said...

Good luck at clinic!!!


I love Blueberries! I get them from Costco and they prob only last me a week... I should plant a blueberry bush but I do nt have a green thumb.