Thursday, July 7, 2011

Picc or Port?

I did end up on IV's again...I got a picc line put in yesterday morning and the home nurse came last evening to get me set up with the meds. I have big monster pole again because of the one med...yuck! There was trouble getting my picc in and my arm is really sore. I will see how things go overall, but I'm considering getting a port put in. I had a lot of trouble with clots and tube bending in Jan. and March. I'm doing some research online about a port as my CNP said it might be good to consider it. I'm curious to know pros/cons of having a port by anyone who has had one for any reason. The way things have been going, I'm needing IV's more frequently and I'm not enjoying the picc procedure. Any advice, what is it like having a port compared to a picc??

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Having never had either and don't have any advice, but you do have my empathy.

Hang in there friend.

Stacey said...

I've only had PICC's, but EVERYONE I talk to who has had both loves their ports. I guess overall it's just much more convenient and easy to care for... Sending you lots of love!

Aspiemom said...

I'm sorry you're back on Iv's.

You know me, I'm all for Ports. I love mine. I've had both and would never have a PICC if I can have a port. I guess the con would be having to flush it each mo. when you aren't using it, but you can do that yourself and it's no big deal and still is way better than going thru having a PICC inserted a few times a year.

I also like the fact that I don't have to make the special trip to get the PICC inserted when I'm sick. Who needs that? They just call in what I need and I get it going!

By all means, go w/ a Port. The more you get a PICC the more you get scarring and have more problems getting them put in.

65 Roses for Marcia said...

I feel the love Keetha and Stacey! And thanks for the input Debbi!