Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cayston


I just began a new drug 4 days ago called Aztreonam or Cayston. It is a fairly new drug that is inhaled through a special inhaler. It targets the pseudomonas in lungs of cystic fibrosis patients. The little bottle has to be diluted with the liquid stuff...doesn't take long.It is WAY quicker to do the treatment than the TOBI inhaled med was, plus that caused some hearing nerve damage on me, one of the side effects. This takes barely 90 seconds to do. It has to be done three times a day for 28 days, then off 28, then back on, etc. It is only available in four pharmacies in the US and it's very unbelievably expensive! Thank God for good insurance!! It comes with a NUK baby bottle sterilizer and after each use, the mouth piece has to be taken apart, washed and sterilized. So yes, that is much more time consuming than the actual treatment!! I hope this helps keep those pseudos outa my lungs for awhile. I haven't been feeling great the last couple of weeks, although my pft's only dropped a few points. I've been on a prednisone burst of which I'm starting to taper off of now. It has been helping somewhat. I'm hoping to make it through the Christmas season without having to do IV's. I'm getting my port flushed tomorrow also. I'm very thankful to be able to try this new drug, it's been great seeing new things being developed for this disease!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Good luck. Hope it helps.

blessedmom's simple home said...

I hope it helps and you have feel well during the Christmas holidays :)
Blessings,
Marcia