Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas Adventure

Last Saturday evening, we took the boys to this local event called Journey to the Inn. The weather wasn't too cold but there was a lot of walking and different stops. I knew it would be tiring for me, but also fun! The first stop was where we had to register...like Mary and Joseph did. At each stop, the people were dressed up like Bible times. Next, we moved on to see King Herod. We went in a room in small groups and we were told to say we are looking for the newborn king. Well, King Herod yelled that HE was the only king...and nobody will replace him! Oh dear...Perrin instantly started crying! It was realistic and scary. I hadn't expected that! We rushed them out of there to calm him down and explain it. Kayden didn't cry, but said his hands turned into claws because he was angry at King Herod. Oh boy, traumatic! Our next stop was the Inn in town. The innkeeper said there is no room, but we can warm ourselves by the fire for a bit, which we did. When we left there, we soon came upon some shepherds, their sheep and angels. On the other side of the road were the wisemen, who showed us their gifts for baby Jesus. Kayden said we'd better hurry up and find him before that bad king does...he aaid we need a shortcut. We ended up driving to the Amish Farm where they were taking "census" of people and there was a star above the large barn. We parked in the parking lot and then got on a horse drawn wagon, which took us to the barn. Inside was a live nativity set, with animals and angels in the loft. There was a choir singing. It was nicely set up and the kids could pet the animals. When we were finished there, we walked a candlelit path to the house, where there were cookies, cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate. Then back to the wagon, car and home. I had read the nativity story to them and we acted it out with our little Fisher Price set when we got home. They got into that and relived the whole King Herod trauma again. All in all, a fun Christmas adventure! I only took a couple of pictures...I forgot I even had my camera along and my memory card was nearly full, so this is all I took.

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

What a lovely event!!!

Maybe King Herod should "tone it down" a bit when there are small children in the crowd!

blessedmom's simple home said...

This sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate the birth of our Savior! I remember going to an outdoor play of the story of Christ's birth when I was about 7. I loved it, and always wished they'd done it year after year.
Blessings,
Marcia

The Starr Family said...

What a great evening for the kiddos! My kids would have loved this Marcia!

Anonymous said...

GET OUT OF HERE! Ha!