Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The scent of Christmas

This is a very easy potpourri to throw together in a bowl. I have my hubby save his orange peels from breakfast for a few days, I just tear the peels into pieces and let them dry overnight. Then I throw in a few tablespoons of whole allspice, whole cloves, whole star anise, a few chopped up (with a hammer) whole nutmegs, several cinnamon sticks and a vanilla bean chopped up. I added a few cranberries to add some color. I put it in a bowl...it looks and smells pretty as a potpourri.

You can also bag up some scoops to give away as a gift. You can buy those cute cellophane bags...this is just a baggie, but it works. My favorite way of using this is to simmer it. You can put a few scoops in a pan of water on the stove or put the pan in the oven at 200 degrees. Keep adding water to the pan. After several days of brewing this, it's best to throw away the used spices, clean up the pan and start over.

I have a small electric thing like a mini crockpot that I use for this. I keep it on my countertop and keep adding water...poor little crock needs some now, I think. I usually try to keep water to the top of it. I have done this for years, I usually start the simmering right after Thanksgiving. Boy, it sure makes my house smell like Christmas!

6 comments:

brenda1 said...

Marcia, I really enjoyed a peak at your home decorated for Christmas...so warm and inviting. Maybe you could be on the "Tour of Holmes" next year???

Aspiemom said...

I bet it smells good! I put my orange rinds and apple peelings in a saucepan w/ water and cinnamon & cloves & nutmeg and simmer it. Mmmm. I used to stick whole cloves in oranges, but haven't in a few years.

65 Roses for Marcia said...

Umm, Brenda, I don't think ao...but thanks! Debbi, that's pretty much the same thing I use, I just don't do it on the stove. And I used to make those orange pomanders to, but havent in years...they take too long.

Anonymous said...

I agree with my mother-n-law! ;)

JoEllen Hummel

Anonymous said...

love this website! Beautiful lady you are! Hope you felt blessed this Christmas and have a very healthy new year!

Keetha Broyles said...

I can almost smell it now - - -