Saturday, September 1, 2012

Summer health

I am finally moving on from my mini gardens post at the beginning of summer! Yep, I almost forget how to blog. This post is a quick catch up on my health status...Summer was a bit of a bummer for me health wise. I was on IVs a good part of it. Plus, I also had some other issues going on. Several new doctor appointments. One new issue was really bad joint pain, especially in my hands and knees, which turned out to be Rheumatoid arthritis. I was put on Plaquenil...there are lots of meds for RA out there, but I have to be careful because of my kidney problems. The Plaquenil is helping somewhat...taking the edge off. Then I was having a lot of back pain and an MRI showed a herniated disc pinching a nerve, which was causing my right foot to be tingly a lot of the time. I got 3 injections into my back, did PT and then also started pool therapy...the combination helped and my back started feeling much better! Plus, I really enjoyed the pool therapy! Then I had to go on IVs...well, you can't get an accessed port wet, so I had to stop the pool therapy. I got to stop IVs (and go on oral antibiotics) on vacation to Florida the end of July for two weeks, so I did the pool thing there. But as soon as we got home, I had to go right back on IVs and this is my third week on them. My PFTs have been in the mid 30s all summer. I know that's just a number, but I can really tell a difference overall...more shortness of breath, my chest has been aching, ive been having lowgrade fevers lately, as well as hemoptysis (coughing up blood). Yuck. My oral glucose test in June came back elevated, so I'm now watching sugars and carbs. And just keeping a watch on my sugars. I personally think the test came back high because i was on prednisone...im not convinced that im diabetic, since my sugar hasnt been high when i check. But I will watch that carefully. It was kind of a frustrating summer to have these new issues pop up. I kept thinking, just let me go back to JUST my lung problems...it just felt like things were getting out of control there for awhile. It is going better, exept for the misbehaving lungs. Not every day is bad...some days are pretty good. And so I just keep doing what I have to do and hope and pray that my lung function goes up...this is probably boring, but I'm writing it for me so I can look back and see what was happening when with health. This next week I have an appointment at clinic and also the immunologist...thank goodness they're both in the same building!

I DID manage to make some applesauce, can some tomatoes and red beets (with the help of Brenda) and spent some time with my littles. We picked lots of blueberries off our bushes and now I'm getting quite a few raspberries...the boys love to pick and eat. Kayden said they taste like heaven! I've got quite a few bags in the freezer for smoothies. Yum!

2 comments:

Karlene said...

So sorry for all the health issues. Really makes me think that I take my health for granted! Praying that you will be better and uplifted!!

Keetha Broyles said...


I guess I was too busy since I was busy enough that I somehow missed this post when you posted it.

You know I worry about you - - - well, not WORRY, but I think of you and care about your health!!!