Friday, December 7, 2012

Feelin Festive

I started decorating during the week after Thanksgiving, but I made a few new things, so it took me awhile to get things set up. I'm still working on a centerpiece for my dining room table, not entirely sure what it's going to be yet...I took these pictures last evening, so I had my candles burning. I am one person who doesn't care that it gets dark earlier now. I love burning candles, getting into pajamas early, not having to work outside, just a cozy feeling. And I'm waiting for some snow! I know lots of people complain about snow, but I pretty much love it! And if you live in OH, it's probably gonna happen. I love having seasons. Today was cold and rainy. I kept thinking, if only this would be snow...


Obviously the front of our home, complete with shadows.


I got some very good ideas/inspiration when I went on the tour of homes a few weeks ago and I copied some things! Is this not a cool idea...seriously? This is the top of our piano, so the decorations are music oriented. One of the homes had these stars and "music" candles and I loved...went right home and started working on them!


I had two candle jars, wrapped them with old Christmas sheet music and tied with twine.


For this, I googled a star pattern, made folds to the center (had to play around a bit till I got it right!) but I love them! Easy and fun to make!


I tucked some of the stars in a basket I had, added pine, mini lights, red berries and candy canes.


I usually have a Christmas village on my mantle, but was just tired of it, and wanted something different. I had this old window frame, put scrapbook paper behind, added simple cut out letters and snowflake. Not sure I'm sold on the snowflake as opposed to the letter O, but I'm leaving it.


Here's the whole thing, the only thing missing is the fire...oops!

                                     

This is a Pinterest idea I had seen using small wreaths, but I decided to use vintage ornaments instead, tied onto a tension rod. then I added real pine and some berries to cover the rod. This is above my kitchen sink, so I am imagining pine needles falling into my sink in the next couple of weeks...


A close up of a fairly large old fashioned type looking lantern I have. I added fresh pine and cranberries and a battery candle I had. Looks pretty when lit. Out around it is just some braided fabric with jingle bells sewn on.


An old muffin tin with tea lights on my Hoosier cupboard with cranberries thrown around for fun. I like to use stuff I already have.


And I got this idea from the tour of homes. It's just old mason jars in the canner rack...also on my Hoosier...pine and jingle bells around it.  I put tea lights in the top, nothing in the jars YET. You could put cinnamon sticks, potpourri, candy canes, whatever. 


The last thing for this post is another idea from the tour. This is on my kitchen table. Again, old blue mason jars. You pour water into the jars, pour it out, and immediately pour salt in...I used Epsom salts. Then you dump out the salt and it sticks...who woulda thought! Tea lights in the top. Some of the salt falls off as it dries, but gives it a frosty/snowy look...and so sooo easy! That's all for now. I have a few more things to try yet that aren't finished, but on the whole, it's looking and feelin festive around here! Sigh...I LOVE this time of year!

2 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...


Everything looks sooooo festive! Love it all.

I KNEW we were kindred spirits - - - I feel the SAME way about snow. I sure hope we get A LOT more snow and cold than we got last winter up here on the SUPPOSED TO BE FROZEN tundra!

Anonymous said...

I am soooo behind from reading blogs-- love this post because I ALWAYS love your home at Christmas time. I, too, was a big fan of the music candles from Mary's Home. I need to get on the ball and make them!

Well done, my friend!
JoEllen