Wednesday, January 30, 2013

In sickness and in health...

...part of the vows we took many years ago. My hubby has sure been there for me through many many sick times, hospitalizations, surgeries, tests, treatments, etc. He has been a great caretaker when I've needed him to be! And of course we've had some great healthy times mixed in there too!

 And now he has some health issues of his own...and he's NEVER sick! The last couple of months he's been having some stomach issues and lost 10-12 lbs...which he doesn't need to lose. This past weekend he scared me, having severe abdominal pain and he felt so bad, he actually did see the dr Sat morning. They did bloodwork, urinalysis, etc. He was miserable all weekend. We both just hibernated in bed all weekend. Monday they called and said his white blood count was quite high and scheduled him for a cat scan later that morning. I needed more X-rays of my legs for my new rheumatologist, so we both were out at the hospital at the same time registering for X-rays and scan. It struck us as comical actually. Later that afternoon, the dr called and said the scan showed diverticulitis and colitis. No masses. We were happy it's something very treatable! He has to be scheduled for a scope (upper) and a colonoscopy. He is taking off the next 2 weeks of work to recuperate a bit. He started on antibiotics and he is not in nearly as much pain as the weekend.

 I've had more kidney stone pain, so had made an appointment with my PCP this morning, although the pain had stopped last evening. There was blood in my urine and she sent me over to the hospital for a cat scan. My dr called later today and said there was no evidence of the 5mm stone, so I must've passed it last night when pain stopped. There are several others in the kidney that are 1-3mm in size. Now I'm a kidney stone machine...

Tomorrow morning, I have a CF appointment...hoping PFTs are still as good as last week. I just dread doing them so much!

A final note...my niece Lindsay (a great basketball player in high school and college) was playing a little 3 on 3 and she tore her achilles. She had surgery the week I was in the hospital. She and her hubby are in their last months of dental school at OH State and they need to do their state boards this weekend. They have to spend a whole day with patients, with the profs watching every move. She is in a cast and has to use this little scooter thing to get around, so we are praying she can get through this tough weekend...any prayers would be appreciated!

1 comment:

Keetha Broyles said...


Goodness! You guys have had your health hands FULL for sure!