Monday, January 21, 2013

Quite the week

I've been hanging out in the hospital for the last week. I came home Fri.afternoon. It all started the first week in January...kinda tired, some hemotopysis, shortness of breath. I was short of breath even with O2. It's a very panicky feeling. I called my cf center, went in for appointment a day later on Jan 10. Within a very short time I was immediately admitted. The left side of lungs had no air moving through and right side completely wheezy. Just. Couldn't. Breathe! They started very aggressive treatments of massive iv steroids every 6 hrs, antibiotic Ivs, aerosols every 2 hours round the clock, four hand percussion treatments a day. I had no sleep for two days/nights. As I laid there awake from the steroids, I totally redecorated the room in my head...tearing off border, repainting the walls, cleaning, scrubbing etc. By the third night they tried two different sleep meds and I could get some snatches of sleep. And breathing easier.

 Tues morning I woke up to some back pain. I thought I laid wrong in bed, but it kept getting worse and worse around the side. I'm thinking surely not a kidney stone...they gave me some morphine and sent me to X-ray and sure enough a 5mm stone. An ultrasound was done later that day to make sure kidney wasn't swelling. I was started on fluids in an attempt to flush it out, but as of now, it's still in there somewhere...maybe moved to an undetermined hiding place. At least its not hurting for now.

 Wednesday night event...I broke out in shingles. This has happened before when I've been sick and I've had the vaccine. So acyclovir was added to meds. Body, just give me one uneventful day!

Thursday I got an IVIG treatment. My port was deaccessed in the afternoon so I had a window of time in which to shower before it was accessed again. I was scared to try it, but I used a chair and O2 (which sounds so pathetic) and it went ok. I was exhausted but quite proud...and clean! Friday late morning I had another ultrasound, then did pfts. They were the same as when I was admitted, so I was disappointed...but at least they stayed stable. I was discharged a few hours later. It felt a little scary, yet I was so wanting to be back home! My home iv meds arrived very soon after we got home. 
So I'm just settling in here with my Ivs and O2 when I'm up, which so far is not a lot. Hope to get 
stronger each day. Baby steps... 

 From my Jesus Calling devotional today... Your security rests in Me alone...not in other people or circumstances. Depending on me may feel like walking on a tightrope, but there is a safety net underneath: the everlasting arms. So don't be afraid of falling. Instead, look to Me. I am always before you, becoming on-one step at a time. Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in creation, can separate you from My loving Presence.


Judy said...

So, so sorry to hear your January started out this way! I'm happy you are home now. Just rest and get better soon. I liked your devotional--so appropriate for what you're going through. Keep looking up!!

Hummel Family said...

I've been praying for you, friend! I can't wait to stop in and see you tomorrow ( or today! Ha) please let me know if you need help. I'm right down the road so it's not a hassle at all!

Keetha Broyles said...

I'm really sorry to hear all this.


Keetha Broyles said...

Does your hubby or JoEllen or someone know your blog password to let us know information should the time come when you can't tell us about yourself????

Anonymous said...

Keetha---yes I have her password! Just waiting on her to tell me if she wants me to post. I visited her last night in her home and she is basically staying in her bed taking it easy since she is having issues with breathing. (Keep praying for her!) I told her that this would be a good time to update the blog. :) I'm sure she will soon.