Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pulmonary rehab and health update

This past year I have taken a bit of a hit health wise. My PFTs (lung function) has fallen to and been stuck at barely over 30%. So my drs decided I needed to be doing pulmonary rehab. Whether or not my lung function would come up or not, they thought it would at least help me feel better. I started having to use O2 at home with exertion about a year ago, and I needed O2 to do rehab.There is no place really close, so I have to go to Wooster hospital, about a 40 minute drive. I started the program the first of May...it's a 3 month program/3 days a week. The program consisted of a workout on the treadmill and two kinds of bikes, 15 minutes each and then a 30 minute education time. Three others were in my class with me...two with COPD and the other with alpha antitrypsin, another lung disease. My pulse ox, heart rate and blood pressure was monitored all the time while working out. I "graduated" the end of July, but have kept on going, doing their maintenance program. In Sept their policy changed that all maintenance people could only go 2 days a week on Tues/Thurs. I'm now doing 30 minutes on each machine. It's also nice to be around some others who need O2 while exercising...kind of like a support group. I do feel like even though it takes a lot of time out of my day on Tues/Thurs, it has helped me feel better overall. I had a couple of bad lung bleeding issues (hemoptysis) last summer, but that hasn't happened since. I was on IVs for 3 weeks towards the end of June...so it's been awhile since I've had to do them. We spent the last two weeks of Oct in Florida. The weather was awesome and I felt really good! My PFTs actually were the highest they'd been in almost a year at my cf appointment when we got back. Lately, I've been coughing more and my lungs feel achy sometimes.  The weather does affect me. I'm hoping I can make it until after Christmas before needing IVs again. But I take it one day at a time...

1 comment:

Karlene said...

Thinking about you and praying that you are able to stay well especially during the Holidays! Also so sorry about your dog, made me tear up reading your post! They become such an important part of the family.